CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Pursue your Future with Shopgirl.

I found myself in my Simpsons Christmas PJ’s, watching Shopgirl. My ex and I watched this movie about a year and a half ago. At the time I had no idea that it would force me to reevaluate my life.

Shopgirl stars Steve Martin and Claire Danes. It’s based on his novella that was a bestseller. Danes plays an emotionally fragile young woman living in California, trying to find herself and repay her students loans. A subject many women can relate to.

Through the course of her job working at Saks Fifth Avenue, she meets the multi-millionaire, Ray Porter, played by Martin. He seduces her into his world with money, clothes, and sex. However, there’s a catch. While she begins to fall in love with him and daydreams of a future together, he constantly keeps her at arms length. His fear of commitment, infidelity, and lack of emotional sensitivity drives them apart.

But losing Ray and her student loans (he pays them off for her) allows Mirabelle financial freedom. In turn she’s able to pursue her dream of opening a gallery to showcase her work. Through fulfilling her passion, she finds herself a stable, reciprocal relationship with neurotic Jeremy, played by the eccentric Jason Schwartzman.

How can I relate to this film? Well, my relationship of nearly 4 years ended when my ex decided he wanted some personal space. Now I wasn’t the clingy type of woman at least I didn’t think I was. Hell, I like my own space since I’m an only child. But what it came down to is he wanted the closeness of a relationship, without the commitment.

Yes, it does suck. I have shed more tears than I’d like to count. But I"ll take fond memories of my lost love and lessons from this experience. However, I hope my passion for writing will heal my soul and bring a loving relationship.

Peace and best wishes. Although life stinks at times, it slowly gets better. Until it does, just watch a movie.




2 comments:

julia said...

Awww, it does get better. I am a living breathing testament on just how better it gets. Sometimes God removes people from our lives. I am glad you are recovering nicely and learning from the experience! I never saw ShopGirl. I'm a scifi chick myself. sometimes other movies slip through the cracks; I blubbered over "Catch and Release" a few days ago.

Peace and Balance, Sis!
Julia

PJSandAMovie said...

Oh I like Sci-Fi myself, but it seems to be old school stuff. I love the Twilight Zone, Amazing Stories, and Outlimits.